These terms & conditions are important. You should read through them before using YBS managed social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google+ and YouTube).
Please contact us if there is anything you do not understand.
In these Terms and Conditions references to "you", "your" and "yours" are references to the person(s) accessing the Site. Yorkshire Building Society is referred to as "the Society" "we", “our” or "us". The term "parties" will be used to refer to both you and us together. References to “managed social media channels’ means Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, and YouTube "YBS Group" or "Yorkshire Group" refer to the Society, the trading names under which it operates (Chelsea Building Society, the Chelsea, Norwich & Peterborough Building Society, N&P and Egg) and its subsidiary companies.
Use of the Site
1. By using and accessing our managed social media channels you agree to accept and be bound by these Terms and Conditions, together with the individual social media platform’s own user Terms of Service. If you do not agree with any of them then you should stop using our managed social media channels immediately.
If you post comments or queries outside of a working day (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm excluding Bank and Public Holidays) we may not respond until the next working day.
Links to other websites
The Society cannot be held responsible for any content posted by another user who uses a hashtag that we have also used in a social media post. Using the same hashtag in a post or comment does not imply association or endorsement between a social media account managed by the Society and the account of another user.
2. The Society has the right to amend the contents of its managed social media channels at any time.
3. To access our managed social media channels you will have to enter a password. Any unauthorised access of our managed social media channels will be in breach of these Terms and Conditions.
Changes to these Terms and Conditions
4. The Society has the right to amend these Terms and Conditions for the following reasons:
i. To reflect changes or anticipated changes in law, regulations, or codes of practice or to respond to a decision by court, ombudsman or regulator.
ii.to reflect changes in our costs, including administrative costs, involved in providing our managed social media channels.
iii.to reflect changes in technology
iv.to reflect changes to the functionality of the managed social media channels, including the removal of any out of date functionality; and
v.to correct any mistake in the way the Terms and Conditions are drafted or to change the drafting to make them fairer or clearer (such a change would never be to your detriment)
The Society may make changes to these pages and this will be effective as soon as they are published on our managed social media channels
5. Messages sent on social media channels not managed by us cannot be guaranteed to be completely secure and subject to possible interception, loss or possible alteration. The Society is not responsible and will not be liable to you or anyone else for any damages or otherwise in connection with any messages sent by you to us or any message sent by us to you over the internet.
Governance of Our Managed Social Media Channels
6. The Social Media Team at Yorkshire Building Society, are responsible for managing the social media channels and these social media channels may also be managed by the Society employees and/or third parties appointed by us. The Society does not control the comments, messages, links or uploads that are posted by users on its managed social media channels, but the Society will remove posts which don’t comply with our House Rules set out below.
Your Personal Data
7. By agreeing to use our managed social media channels you are consenting to your personal data being used in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
8. Your Personal Data will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and where personal details are required this will only be requested via secure method and they will only be used for the purpose it is being registered for.
9. We have a regulatory requirement placed upon us to retain records of significant communications, which will be stored securely and kept confidential.
10. Please be aware that any Personal Data that you provide on our social media channels may be viewed by other social media channel users.
User Material and Content
11. We reserve the right to delete any content that is in breach of the House Rules
House Rules: ‘The posting of’ i.Personal or confidential information (this is to protect you) ii. Abusive, defamatory, offensive and hateful language iii. Unlawful information iv. Trolling or deliberately disruptive discussions v. Violations of any intellectual property rights vi. Solicitation vii. Spam viii. Any third party link ix. Malicious content x Any mistakes that we make xi Inaccurate, misleading or inappropriate statements about our products, services and its people
Notification and Take Down Procedure
12. Our social media channels may be managed by employees of the Society and/or third parties appointed by us. We do not control the comments, messages, links or uploads that are posted by users on our managed social media channels, but we may remove posts which don’t comply with our House Rules. The views expressed by users of our social media channels belong to those individual users and do not reflect those of the Society.
The Society does not accept any liability for any such comments or messages and will not be liable for any infringing content which is uploaded and/or linked by other social media channel users.
13. In the interests of protecting other social media channel users the Society will investigate and report all instances of abusive behaviour, violent threats and/or breaches of privacy to the relevant authorities.
14. The Society shall fully co-operate with any law enforcement authority or court order directing us to disclose the identity of anyone posting any material when requested to do so.
15. We may at our sole discretion carry out promotions
Promotional Terms and Conditions
16. Please read these promotional Terms and Conditions carefully. By entering any of our managed social media channel promotions you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions set out below:
i.The Promoter of the prize draw is Yorkshire Building Society (“the Society”), Yorkshire House, Yorkshire Drive, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD5 8LJ.
ii. The promotion is open to all UK residents aged 18 or over, with the exception of employees (including contractors and temporary employees) of the Society.
iii. Entrants must be registered users of Facebook/Instagram/YouTube/LinkedIn /Twitter/Google+ and they must agree that this promotion is run by the Promoter and is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with any other social media channels.
iv. No purchase is necessary to enter the promotion.
v. Winners will be drawn at random by the Society and the winners names will be put on the social media channel. Further details will be available in the Terms and Conditions for each promotion.
vi. A cash alternative will not be offered and the prize is non-transferable.
vii.The Society’s decision will be final.
v.iiiThe Society cannot accept responsibility for entries not successfully completed.
ix. One entry per person.
x. An entry made on someone else’s behalf will not be eligible to win the prize.
xi. The winners name will be provided in the comment section on the social media channel and the winner will need to reply to this comment and the Society will then contact the winner by private message The winner must provide a postal address to claim their prize. If the winner does not respond to the Society within 7 days of being notified of this or declines the prize, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Society will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above. Any Personal Data provided will only be used for the purpose of the promotion.
xii The Society reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if the circumstances beyond the Society’s control make it necessary to do so.
xiii. If there is a dispute regarding any aspect of the promotion this will be resolved by the Group Secretary of the Society or another senior manager authorised by the Society. Their decision is final.
xiv.The first name and regional area of the winners will be published on the Society’s social media channel and will also be available by writing to Social Media Team, Ecommerce Department, Yorkshire Building Society, Yorkshire House, Yorkshire Drive, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD5 8LJ.
xv.The winners may be required to participate in publicity related to the promotion which may include the publication of their name, regional area and photograph in any media.
xvi. Personal details needed to arrange delivery/fulfilment of the prize will be passed to the provider of the prize.
xvii. By entering this promotion you are accepting and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions upon entry into the promotion. The Society reserves the right to refuse entry, or refuse to award the prizes to anyone who is in breach of these promotional terms and conditions and any of our social media channels terms and conditions.
17. Information or opinions provided by the Society through a third party on the Society’s managed social media channels should not be used for financial services advice and does not constitute an offer to sell or is solicitation of an offer to buy any products, services, securities or financial instruments. Nor does any such information constitute advice or recommendation with respect to such products, securities or other financial instruments
18. When making a decision about financial services, you should seek the advice of a financial adviser or similar.
19. Copyright or other intellectual property rights protect the content and layout of the Society’s managed social media channels. This not only includes text but also software, data, forms, sound, music, graphics, animations, logos and video clips. You may not copy, use or print off any material for any commercial, illegal or immoral purpose. If you print off information, data, text or forms, you must not alter, amend or copy them, make any derivative works from them nor remove or obscure any logos, names or other proprietary or intellectual property marks showing ownership by us or any third party.
20. The Society is the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights on the Society’s managed social media accounts and the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved. You agree that if we use your ideas, comments or suggestions or if we expand, evolve or modify them, such usage and activities are confidential to us and no compensation or payment shall be due to you.
21. We do not accept any liability for any losses that do not arise directly from our breach of these Terms and Conditions. Similarly, you will not be liable to us for any losses that do not arise directly from your breach of these Terms and Conditions.
22. We do our best to ensure that our managed social media channels are free from viruses, bugs or other software or programs that may damage the operation of your computer. However, we cannot guarantee this and we do not accept liability if this happens.
23. We cannot guarantee that if you use the internet (including email) and private message to contact us that this will be secure or that this will not be amended or intercepted and therefore we will not be liable if for any reason this occurs.
Information about Yorkshire Building Society
24.Yorkshire Building Society is a member of the Building Societies Association and is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Yorkshire Building Society is entered in the Financial Services Register under registration number 106085. Head Office: Yorkshire House, Yorkshire Drive, Bradford, BD5 8LJ.
25. This is intended for residents in the United Kingdom over the age of 18 and the Terms and Conditions for use are drafted accordingly.
26. The parties agree that these Terms and Conditions and any non-contractual obligations arising out of or in connection with the Terms and Conditions will be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of England and Wales.
27. The English courts will have jurisdiction to settle any disputes which may arise in connection with the Terms and Conditions or any non-contractual obligations arising out of or in connection with the Terms and Conditions.
28. If any of the Terms and Conditions are found to be legally invalid, the invalid term will be deleted. The remaining Terms and Conditions shall continue to bind the parties if they are capable of continuing in existence without the invalid term.
29. All disclaimers and exclusions will continue in force after you stop using our managed social media channels.
30. We reserve the right to transfer our rights, duties and responsibilities set out in these Terms and Conditions to another party. Any party that we make such a transfer to will be subject to the same duties and obligations under these Terms and Conditions as we are.
31. No person may enforce any of the terms of the Terms and Conditions under the Contract (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 by a person who is not a party to them except that the respective subsidiaries (as such term is defined in the Companies Act 2006) of Yorkshire Building Society shall have the benefit thereof and shall be entitled to enforce them.
32. Neither you nor the Society will be responsible for any breach of these Terms and Conditions due to any cause beyond our reasonable control. Neither the Society nor you shall be liable or deemed to be in default for any delay, interruption or failure in the performance of our obligations under these Terms and Conditions caused directly or indirectly by fire, flood, earthquake, explosion or other casualty, strike or labour dispute, disruption of telecommunications systems, war or other violence, accident, any law, order, injunction, proclamation, regulation, ordinance, demand or requirement of any government agency, act of God or any other cause or condition of a like nature beyond the reasonable control of the affected party.