The loss of a loved one is a particularly difficult time. We're here to offer help and support

Other links

First steps


Register the death.

You’ll need to register the death at any local registry office (within 5 days in England and Wales and 8 days in Scotland). For Government advice on how to register a death and to locate your nearest registry office go to Once you’ve registered the death you will be given a death certificate. It's probably worth asking for a few copies as this could help you deal with some of the more practical matters quicker.


Funeral Arrangements.

It’s important to say goodbye and a Funeral Director should be able to guide you through all of your options for arranging a funeral. Citizens Advice recommends finding a Funeral Director through a professional association, such as the National Association of Funeral Directors

Worrying about paying for the funeral isn’t something we want you to be overly concerned with. If you need to access funds from the deceased’s account, we can cover some funeral expenses from the estate. Cheques will be issued directly to the funeral director or third party.


The Will.

You’ll need to find out whether or not there is a will. If you do not know, the deceased’s solicitor and bank are good places to start and there’s more advice here

Next step

We appreciate that you will want to settle financial affairs following bereavement with minimal hassle. Depending on the products held, we will require different documents and identification in order to perform the necessary administration. Please select the relevant options below to show the steps you'll need to take.


If you’d like to notify us of a bereavement online we can help you get started and send you some guidance on what to do next. You’ll need to have details of the person who has passed away to hand, including their account information.

We are currently working through exceptionally high volumes so if you provided documents to us in the last 3 weeks please do not call for an update, and bear with us while we process them.

Call us

If you would like to talk with a member of our dedicated Bereavement Team, you can call us between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

Write to us at the Address below:

Bereavement Team Customer Service Centre,
Yorkshire Building Society,
Yorkshire House,
Yorkshire Drive,

Visit your nearest Branch

If you would prefer to speak to someone in person please call into any of our branches. Find your branch now.

Frequently asked Questions

For definitions, please refer to our Bereavement Glossary Terms

Will I need to talk to several different people?

Our Bereavement Team is your first point of contact and they are able to assist you with any questions you have. For some queries relating to mortgage payments or insurance they may put you in touch with a specialist in those areas, however the Bereavement Team will still be your dedicated support.

Is it going to take a long time to make the necessary arrangements for the finances?

As soon as you contact us we will get the process started however the exact timescales will vary depending on the circumstances. The Bereavement Team will keep you updated on the process.

Can I leave it and do all the paperwork in a few months’ time?

It’s really important that you contact the Bereavement Team and send the Death Certificate straight away so we can update our records and get the process started.

Can someone call on my behalf?

Someone can call on your behalf to obtain general advice on the next steps. We can however only give account specific information to the Personal Representative/Executor.

How do I pay for the funeral from the Estate?

Certain funeral expenses can be paid from the estate – please contact the Bereavement Team for further information. We’ll need an original or a copy of the receipts for the expenses.

Will interest still be earned on the savings account(s)?

Yes, interest will continue to be earned until the account is closed. This is in line with the account terms and conditions.

What happens if the funds are held in a fixed rate bond or notice account?

All withdrawals or account closures after the death of an account holder can be made without providing notice and with no loss of interest, regardless of the type of account. Our fixed rate bond products can be left open until they mature – just let the Bereavement Team know if you’d like to do this.

What happens on Trust accounts?

If the deceased was a trustee it may be necessary to appoint a new trustee to the account. If the account is to be closed the cheque will be made payable to the beneficial owner.

What happens if a Power of Attorney/Court of Protection Order was registered on the account?

If a Power of Attorney/Court of Protection Order has been registered on an account this is no longer valid on the death of the account holder. This means that the person who held the authority isn’t able to operate or access the deceased’s account(s) anymore.

Additional Permitted Subscriptions (APS) FAQs

Am I eligible for the APS allowance?

Anyone whose spouse/civil partner died on or after the 3 December 2014 and at the date of death was:

  • Married or in a civil partnership
  • Not legally separated or likely to become legally separated (if your spouse was in a care home this would not generally be considered as legally separated): and
  • 16 years of age or over.

The availability of the APS allowance is not limited to UK residents. Customers who have moved abroad but whose spouse/civil partner still held an ISA(s) in the UK at the date of their death will be entitled to the APS allowance. In certain circumstances how they use the allowance will be limited to the fact they live abroad.

How much will my APS allowance be?

If your partner died on or before April 5 2018 your APS allowance will be the value of your late spouse/civil partners ISA(s) at the date of death (APS1).

If your partner died on or after April 6 2018 at the time of applying you have 2 options:

  1. Inherit an ISA allowance that is the value of your spouse/civil partner ISA(s) at the date of death (APS1) or
  2. If your spouse/civil partner’s ISA(s) remains open and continues to earn interest, you can inherit an ISA allowance that is the value of your spouse/civil partner’s ISA(s) at account closure. Your spouse/civil partner’s ISA(s) can remain open up to three years after the date of death OR until the administration of the deceased estate is complete. (APS2)

Your will be able to use the higher of the two APS1 & APS2 values as your APS allowance unless, under option 2, you start using this allowance before your spouse/partner’s ISA(s) is closed. When this happens, you will inherit an ISA allowance that is the value of your spouse/partner’s ISA(s) at date of death.

Does my APS allowance form part of my current ISA allowance?

No – the APS allowance sits alongside your own annual ISA allowance, which is £20,000.00 in the tax year 2022/2023. You can invest your own ISA annual allowance in any of our ISA accounts subject to the terms and conditions and provided you have not used your ISA allowance with another ISA provider.

Do I need to invest the whole APS allowance in one go?

No you can invest your APS allowance in installments or wholly, but this allowance has to be subscribed by the third anniversary of the death of the spouse/civil partner or 180 days after the finalisation of the estate of the deceased.

What if the estate of the deceased is left to someone other than the spouse/civil partner?

You are still entitled to the APS allowance, as this is the value of all ISA’s held by the late spouse/civil partner under either APS 1 or APS 2. The money does not have to come from your loved one’s ISA account, money can be used from other sources for the APS allowance.

Can I transfer the APS Allowance to Yorkshire Building Society?

If your spouse/civil partner held an ISA account with another ISA institution you can transfer the value of the deceased ISA to the Yorkshire Building Society as long as this has not already been taken up with that ISA provider and you hold a valid ISA account with us that is accepting funds. You will need to contact us to request the relevant forms.

Can I transfer the APS allowance to another ISA provider?

As long as you have not already used the APS allowance with Yorkshire Building Society, you can transfer out the APS allowance. You will need to contact the other ISA provider first, to see if they accept APS allowances, if they do you will need to complete the relevant forms with them and they will then be in touch with us to proceed with the request. Please note it is only the APS allowance figure that is transferred to the other ISA provider not the actual ISA account funds from the late holder’s estate.

Useful contacts

HM Revenue & Customs

Look in The Phone Book for your local ‘Tax Office’, or visit

Citizens Advice Bureau

Find your local office in The Phone Book, or visit

Cruse Bereavement Care

Call 0844 477 9400*, or visit

General Register Office for England & Wales

Smedley Hydro, Trafalgar Road, Southport, Merseyside PR8 2HH
Tel: 0845 603 7788*,

General Register Office for Scotland

Ladywell House, Ladywell Road, Edinburgh EH12 7TF
Tel: 0131 334 0380*,

Probate and Inheritance Tax helpline

Ladywell House, Ladywell Road, Edinburgh EH12 7TF
Call 0845 30 20 900* or visit

The Bereavement Register

Government advice on bereavement