Complaints Publication Report
See how many complaints Yorkshire Building Society received and dealt over a six month period and how these relate to the number of accounts in each grouping, to allow comparisons to be made with other financial organisations on a consistent basis.
1st July 2011 to 31st December 2011
|Firm Name||Yorkshire Building Society|
|Other firms included in this report||Barnsley Building Society
Chelsea Building Society
Chelsea Mortgage Services
|Period covered||1st July 2011 to 31st December 2011|
Below is a table showing how many complaints Yorkshire Building Society received and dealt with from 1st July 2011 to 31st December 2011. The comparative figures show how these relate to the number of accounts or income in each grouping, to allow comparisons to be made with other financial organisations on a consistent basis.
The below figures include Complaints from Norwich & Peterborough Building Society (N&P) from 1st November 2011 and Egg Savings & Mortgages from 31st October 2011.
To put the figures into context:
- We have 3.47 million savings accounts and received 0.84 complaints for every 1000 accounts.
- Of the 344,486 mortgage accounts, we received 3.3 complaints for every 1000 mortgages.
- We received 194.4 general insurance and pure life protection complaints for every £1m of annual income. This figure is higher than normal due to the unprecedented level of mortgage payment insurance complaints, largely due to speculative claims from Complaint Management Companies.
- Our complaints regarding Life, Pensions and Decumulation relate to historic sales pre 2000. Since 2000, the Society has introduced customers to Legal & General for the appropriate Investment advice. The Chelsea introduces customers to Aviva.
- For every £1m of Investment income, we received 10.6 complaints. The figures for Investments include complaints received by N&P which relate to Keydata. This was an investment product that N&P sold via its Financial Advice Service and which went into administration in 2009. Whilst both the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and N&P worked with the FSA to resolve the issue for affected customers, N&P also received a high number of complaints (approximately 800) from customers concerned that they had lost their investments.
Complaints are very important to us. We use complaints to understand where our customers aren't happy with our service so we can make improvements. We always do our best to deal with complaints as quickly and fairly as possible. Our complaints process has been designed with customers at its heart. If you have a complaint, please get in touch and we'll do all we can to resolve the matter with you.
The Financial Ombudsman Service also publish complaint data regarding the number of complaints received and the proportion upheld by the Ombudsman for individual firms. Details can be found at the Financial Ombudsman Service - publication of complaints data.
Archived Complaints Reports
- 1st January 2019 to 30st June 2019
- 1st July 2018 to 31st December 2018
- 1st January 2018 to 30th June 2018
- 1st July 2017 to 31st December 2017
- 1st January 2017 to 30th June 2017
- 1st July 2016 to 31st December 2016
- 1st January 2016 to 30th June 2016
- 1st July 2015 to 31st December 2015
- 1st January 2015 to 30th June 2015
- 1st January 2014 to 30th June 2014
- 1st July 2013 to 31st December 2013
- 1st January 2013 to 30th June 2013
- 1st July 2012 to 31st December 2012
- 1st January 2012 to 30th June 2012
- 1st July 2011 to 31st December 2011
- 1st January 2011 to 30th June 2011
Complaints received and dealt with by Yorkshire Building Society from 1st July 2011 – 31st December 2011.
|Product/Service Grouping||Number of complaints opened||Number of complaints closed||Complaints closed within 8 weeks||Closed complaints upheld by YBS|
|Banking and credit cards||2924||3204||96.4%||32.8%|
|General Insurance & Pure protection||1544||1410||92.1%||7.7%|
|Life, Pensions and Decumulation||161||183||45.4%||17.5%|