When might you change who’s on your mortgage? 

Adding someone to a mortgage or taking someone’s name off a mortgage can be called a transfer of equity. 

You’ll need to talk to us about a transfer of equity if:
You get married and want to transfer a mortgage with one name into joint names.
You get married or separated and want to transfer a joint mortgage to a single name.
You want to remove someone from a joint mortgage and add someone else.
A mortgage holder has passed away and you want to add a new name to the mortgage.
You’ll need a conveyancer to make changes like these to a mortgage. If you need help you can use our conveyancing service.

More about changing borrowers

What does transfer of equity mean?
A transfer of equity is when you change the names on a mortgage. This could mean adding someone’s name to or removing someone’s name from the mortgage. 

This may be necessary due to divorce, separation or if there has been bereavement in the family. Or you might decide to add someone to your mortgage if you get married or want to live together.
Make sure you can still afford your mortgage
If you want to transfer the property ownership and mortgage into just your name, you’ll need to show that you can afford the mortgage on your own. We’ll ask you to prove that you can afford the monthly payments. 
Divorce or separation
If you have a joint mortgage with another person, you are both equally responsible for the repayment of the mortgage loan. You have a number of options.
Transfer of equity
If you or your former partner decide to stay in the house, the person who stays in the property would need to go through the process to transfer ownership into their sole name. This means that one person buys out the other. A valuation of the property's current value would be needed in this scenario.

Options that don’t involve transfer of equity

You can decide to sell the house and divide the proceeds between you. The proceeds from the sale would be used to repay the mortgage and any money left over would then need to be split between you (similar to any shared assets). Early repayment charges may apply.
If the mortgage doesn't have long to run you may decide to continue making the mortgage payments with your former partner. You both remain responsible for the mortgage, so it is in the interests of both of you to make sure that the mortgage payments are made.
Remember, while you’re in the process of making any decisions, you still need to pay your monthly repayments. 
Any missed payments may affect you and your partner's credit reference files.
Call us
Chat to our mortgage specialists about your options.
9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm Saturday
Calls to 03 numbers are charged at the same rate as 01 or 02 numbers from all phones.
Book an appointment
Book an appointment and we'll call you back.