[x close]

Payment ProtectionInsurance Deadline

Our regulator the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has announced a deadline of 29 Aug 2019 to make a complaint about the mis-sale of Payment Protection Insurance (PPI)

What is Payment Protection Insurance?

Payment Protection Insurance is a policy that provides protection to enable the continued payment of credit, for example a mortgage, in certain situations. The Society offered a policy that could cover an individual for accident, sickness and unemployment, unemployment only or accident and sickness only. The policy could provide protection for typically 12 months.

The Deadline

The Financial Conduct Authority has announced a deadline of 29 Aug 2019 to make a complaint about the mis-sale of PPI. After this date you will not be able to complain about the sale of your policy. You will however still be able to complain about other aspects of your policy such as the administration. We aim to make it as easy as possible to complain. Click here to see how to submit a complaint.

New rules

On 12 November 2014, the Supreme Court ruled in Plevin vs. Paragon Personal Finance Ltd. (Plevin). They judged that failure to disclose to a customer a large commission payment on a single premium Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) policy, made the relationship between the lender and borrower unfair under section 140A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

As a result, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) announced  additional rules and guidance to providers, helping them to manage the impact of the Plevin ruling on certain PPI complaints.

How does this affect me?

We will be contacting everyone who had their PPI mis-selling complaint rejected but who is impacted by the FCA’s guidance on commissions by November 2017. You do not need to do anything. Any new complaints received after 29th August 2017 will be assessed to identify whether any redress is due for both mis-selling and the level of commission received on the policy.


Frequently asked questions

Can I use a Claims Management Company (CMC) to make my complaint?

Yes, you are able to use a CMC to make your complaint. However, the same process will be followed whether you use a CMC or complain to us directly. If you submit your complaint yourself and the complaint is upheld then 100% of the compensation will come directly to you without the need to pay a CMC.

How long does it take to hear back?

We have 8 weeks to investigate a complaint, however, we aim to come back to you sooner than that. We will write to you to acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days of it being received. If we are unable to provide a final response within 28 days we will write to you again to explain this. If we are unable to provide a final response within 8 weeks we will write to you again, at this point you will have the right to take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

What happens when I make a complaint about PPI?

We will fully investigate the sale of your PPI policy. We will consider the information you have provided with your complaint and the records we hold. We will write out to you to give details of our decision. We may also try to call you to discuss your complaint or clarify some information. Please provide a contact number when making your complaint.

If you uphold my complaint how is compensation paid?

We will issue a cheque to you. The money you receive is made up of a refund of premiums made to the PPI policy and 8% simple interest on this amount from the time it was paid to the time of the Final Response Letter. Tax rules state that any interest paid in addition to the compensation paid is taxable. In line with HMRC requirements, we’re obliged in all cases to deduct 20% tax from the amount of interest paid. We're not able to provide tax advice and would suggest that you contact HMRC with any queries or if you are not taxable and wish to claim a refund of the tax deducted. Contact details can be obtained by calling 0300 200 3300 or from the HMRC website on www.hmrc.gov.uk..

If you made your complaint through a CMC the cheque will be sent directly to you and the CMC will receive a copy of the Final Response Letter. Any fees owed to the CMC are your responsibility

Do I need to complain to the Financial Ombudsman?

No, you can complain directly to us and we will assess your complaint. However, if you still feel your complaint has not been dealt with satisfactorily, you will then have the option of contacting the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) at:

Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
E14 9SR

Tel: 0800 023 4567

Email: complaint.info@financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Web: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

We will send you a leaflet detailing the FOS complaints procedure with our response. If you remain dissatisfied, you have up to six months from the date of our response letter to refer your complaint to the FOS.

The European Commission provides an on-line dispute resolution (ODR) platform for goods and services bought online. This allows customers to submit their complaint through a central site and forwards it on to the right Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme. For more information about ODR please visit https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr

The ADR scheme for Yorkshire Building Society is the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) and you can go to them directly as shown in the contact details above.

If the policy was free can I still complain?

The Society offered some polices that were free for the first 6/12 months. You are able to make a complaint in relation to these policies. If it was found we made an error in the sale you will receive compensation for the premiums that you paid. Therefore nothing would be due for the free period.

When did you stop selling PPI?

We stopped selling PPI in March 2012.

Will making a complaint about PPI affect my relationship with you?

No any complaint you make does not affect the relationship you have with the Society or the accounts you hold. A specialist team will look after your PPI complaint from start to finish.

How can I tell if I have held PPI with the Society?

One of the easiest ways to check if you have had PPI is to check your mortgage statements. It may be shown as one of the following:

  • Mortgage Payment Protection
  • PPI
  • MPPI
  • MPI
  • Safeguard (N&P)
  • Key Payment Protection (KPP)
  • Chelsea Payment Protection (CPP) (Chelsea)
  • Creditor Insurance
Or you can call us on 0800 056 5252 to check.


My mortgage was with EGG – can I still complain?

When Egg mortgage customers joined the Society the responsibility for PPI sales remained with the previous provider. You can contact them at the following address:

Canada Square Operations
PO Box 4903
BN99 3AR

Where can I obtain further help on PPI?

The following have helpful information on making a PPI complaint:


My mortgage was/is with Barnsley/Chelsea/N&P – can I still complain?

Yes. These are all part of the YBS Group and if you feel PPI was mis-sold to you then you can complain. Please contact us here.


How to submit a complaint

By post

Write to us or download the PPI questionnnaire (79 KB)  and send it to:


Charlton Kings Business Park
Cirencester Road
GL53 8DZ

What happens next?

Call us

  • Monday to Friday
    9am - 5pm
0800 056 5252*



Complete our online application form by following the link below:

The embedded asset does not exist:
Asset Type: YBS_Snippet_C
Asset Id: 1394658781091